· The map is not the territory, and the name is not the thing named.
· There are no monotone “values” in biology.
· “Logic is a poor model of cause and effect.”
· Language commonly stresses only one side of any interaction.
· Double description is better than one.
· Bateson defines information as “a difference that makes a difference”
· The source of the new is the random.
· What is true is that the idea of power corrupts. Power corrupts most rapidly those who believe in it, and it is they who will want it most. Obviously, our democratic system tends to give power to those who hunger for it and gives every opportunity to those who don’t want power to avoid getting it. Not a very satisfactory arrangement if power corrupts those who believe in it and want it.