1. Do not lose heart if no one stops. Remember pain of walking with 15 kgs of load on back is much more than that of getting rejected
2. Thou shalt not covet big SUV’s and wish , but they have so much space !
3. I wish this old couple thinks I am their lost son.
4. Do not dally your arm in a half hearted way, full straight and perpendicular.
5. When frustrated keep on moving. I finished 42 kms , this 10km would be done in a jiffy.
6. The scenery , yes , distract yourself observe highlands, see those carefree sheep, happy and clearly not backpacking or hitchhiking.
7. Take in the look from other lane cars, the sympathy in their eyes for my poor self.
8. After 1-2kms , realize you did not check which was the right way ? confirm with only person you saw in last thirty minutes.
9. “Portree that way, aye. Say 10-12 miles ”
Reply with an scottish ayes , “Aye, bus ?”
“Aye, bus stop near church”
10. Church ! Now is the time to conjure up your faith, remember school days, remember morning prayers you did for 52 weeks * 14years of St. Johns and St. Mary’s.
“Our father in heaven
Give us today our holy hitch hike !!
11. Again out goes the hitchhiking stance. Confident, smile on face, cap down, and arms perpendicular and determined.
Oh ..car is giving parking dipper.
Is it stopping for me ?
Yes it is.
“Hi can you drop me to Portreee”
“Sure why not?”
12. Now chat, this and that , what did you cover, how you ended up being in Skye from Singapore.
13. You’re from Glasgow ? I was there like yesterday . Great place .
Ahh, you guys are actually Polish ? I have a friend back in Singapore from Poland, (should I throw in that Polish vodka anecdote too ?)
What a coincidence , your husband is wearing same watch as me (Garmin fenix ) Wow, does he runs.
Finally the driving force behind the wheels speaks ,
“yeah man i tried getting into London marathon this year, but the lottery system man. It fills in so fast.”
Voila Portree, here you are.